As some of you already know, I spent Monday night in tears. I had received an e-mail from someone who was offended by words I had said when asking for their advice on something. They made it clear that they understood my intentions were good and appreciated the motive behind what I had said, but they were pretty upset nonetheless.
While I never want to offend anyone, I'm not prone to crying about it when it happens. Unfortunately, this was the most recent incident in a string of complaints over several months from people who aren't happy with me because of one thing or another - the questions I ask, blogs I post, way my days are scheduled, keys I use when typing, gatherings I plan, ways I try to make things right after offending someone, etc. No matter what I do or say, whether serious or trivial, someone is upset. It seriously makes me want to just withdraw from everyone. We're all bound to hurt someone every now and then. That's just part of life. It seems, however, that I have a unique ability to do it effortlessly, unintentionally, and constantly.
I'm not going to get into specifics of Monday's situation, but it was about some words I'd used and an assumption I had in giving the physical description of someone. I know that's vague, but I don't want people trying to figure out who was involved or what the details were. It doesn't really matter.
Neither the words nor the assumption have ever been a problem when I've used them before, so the fact that someone was offended caught me completely off guard. I immediately sent a one sentence e-mail back apologizing for the offense, then just cried the rest of the night.
As the offended person had specifically referenced their own childhood and because I'd never had someone complain before, I wasn't sure how much of their offense was a personal issue or if all people in this particular group share the same feelings. However, since they were so upset that they couldn't even think of how to answer my question, I was afraid that anything I said or questions I asked would just dig the whole that I was in even deeper.
I know others in similar situations, so I shot out some e-mails explaining the situation and asking for their feedback. As I told some of them, I firmly believe that if you ask a question, then you need to be prepared for any answer that comes. With that in mind, I asked them to honestly tell me if they thought I was offensive in what I said and to clarify if my assumption was correct or incorrect.
.
I'm so thankful for their honest responses. The responses varied from person to person, but they were all helpful. Technically, I didn't do anything wrong. The words I used weren't "bad" words, my tone when using them was good, and my motives in the conversation were right. However, I now know that the words I used will offend some people, that I need to be sensitive to that fact, and have been given some alternative words to use. I also had my assumption, which wasn't mean or judgemental, shot down. It was just a simple case of misinformation. Actually, it was lack of information.
Basically, I learned some new facts, reasons some people get offended, and ways to avoid this situation happening again. Lessons learned the hard way.
5 comments:
Wow, I am so sorry. I hear ya' on the whole withdrawal thing. I now have ten excuses :-)
Although I do not know you super well Bethany, I have always appreciated and loved the fact that you are honest and straightforward. You are you! Keep being just that.
Hugs from Uganda,
Summer
I have not answered much before, and I don't really know you in person, but I do live in Beaverton and got to know you a little at Sonlight. Hope that explains as to why I am writing something here.
I think that no matter what we do in our speech and things we do, there will always be someone who is offended. It does not mean we don't try, as you are doing, to be nice when doing something. It just means you can't make everyone happy. To try and change yourself will not work either. You are who God made you to be. Those who are true friends will know this is who you are. May you find some comfort today in your family and friends who love you.
BTW, my name is Steffi Webb and I have surrounded myself with those who tell the truth and don't try and sugar coat everything. I think I would love spending time with you!
steffi@clanwebb.com
God has been teaching me for the past 3 years, that "be who you are," and "I am who I am," are lies that our culture has taught us.
The Bible actually teaches us to adapt ourselves to the needs of others. To continually be transformed into Christ's image. To search for peach. To humble ourselves.
This has been a hard lesson for me, as no one enjoys lessons on humility. But, what I have found, is that every time I just accept that I am wrong when someone confronts me, I grow.
I am finding that I CAN be more gentle. I CAN bite my tongue. I CAN sand off some of my rough edges. And that I'm not losing my identity, I'm actually looking more like Christ (which is a lot better looking than Belinda anyways).
Sometimes not defending our actions and just enduring the shame of accepting correction can be the most fragrant sacrifice we can offer.
Putting our pride on the altar is ALWAYS painful. And ALWAYS gives good results.
Be encouraged Berth. God only disciplines those He LOVES.
What a great sister you have. I am jealous. :-)
Thanks to both of you for helping us all to grow in HIM!
Summer - I'll always be honest and straightforward. :)
Steffi - You've commented here a couple times before. One of these days we'll have to meet! God certainly gave us all different personalities, strengths and weaknesses ... which means we won't always make everyone happy all the time. Like you said, we just try our best to be nice.
Beep - You're right that we should becoming more like Christ. At the same time, he made us all different. So, our character should look like him, but our personalities won't all match each other. So you are who you are and that's different from how I am. And that's ok.
In other words, God gave all of us individual personalities that are perfect for how he wants to use us. Now, if people use that line to defend inappropriate behavior or to avoid changing things in their life that need changing, then there's a problem.
Post a Comment