Monday, February 23, 2009

MILKIN' MIRACLE

I got a phone call today from someone wanting my solution to a drop in milk supply. I've had this request several times lately, so I figured I'd post it here.

I'm a wimpy milker when it comes to nursing my kiddos. I dried up at 5 1/2 months with the boys. I mean bone dry, not a drop of milk to be found. With Naomi I made it to nine months and I'll tell you why.

When my milk supply started to tank at 5 months with Naomi I asked for suggestions on the SL forums. I'd tried fenugreek and mother's milk tea with the boys, but it didn't help a lick. Anyway, I read through the ideas people gave me and ended up taking three things. First was fenugreek capsules. I really don't think they do anything for me, but so many people swear by them when it's the only thing they're taking, so I figured it wouldn't hurt. Second was red raspberry leaf tea. I drank 1-2 cups each day. Third was alfalfa capsules. I think the logic with them is "if it works for a dairy cow, then it will work for you". At least that's the slogan I've come up with. I noticed an increase in my supply within 24 hours of taking this miracle concoction. I found all three items at New Seasons. It's a stinkin' spendy store, but it's within walking distance. So that's where I went.

I also want to add a disclaimer. While I strongly believe that nursing is the best option for an infant (after all, God is the one who designed our bodies to nurse), the worth of a mother is not determined by if or for how long she nurses her babies.

1 comment:

Kami said...

I also swear by Omega Mom Postpartum Vitamins by Country Life - they are fish oil vitamins that not only help with milk supply and pospartum moods, but with the baby's brain development. I take them the entire first year and notice an amazing improvement in milk supply.