But where's the tooth? He searches high and low, but to no avail. It's then that he realizes he's swallowed his tooth with his food. Distraught, he tells me he's afraid the Tooth Fairy won't come. I explain that I've never had such an experience, but that perhaps a note would work. We ask about it on the Sonlight Forums (after all, the answers to all life's questions can be found there) and he's reassured by several women who tell him about when their own children swallowed or lost their teeth and were visited by the TF anyway.
He abandons his lunch and immediately busts out a note to the TF. If only he'd do his copywork for school so quickly!! He then spends the whole day saying "my tooth is going to be in my p-o-o-p". I have no idea why he kept spelling the word.
Silas writing a note to the tooth fairy with a bloody hole in his gums.
"My name is Silas. What's yours? I was eating a Pringle and my third tooth came out. Bye Tooth Fairy. Love Silas"
1/27/09 Silas wakes up in tears. It seems to him that the TF didn't come. I ask if there was money under his pillow and he says there was a quarter under his sheets. My guess is all his wiggling made the quarter move, his guess is that it's money he left on his bed another day, though he can't recall taking money on his bed anytime in the recent past. He also says his note to the TF is gone. My guess is the TF took it, his guess is that it fell off the bed, though he couldn't find it anywhere. He says there was also toilet paper under his pillow. My guess is that the TF has a sense of humor and realizes where that tooth is going to end up, his opinion is that my guess about the toilet paper is funny.
He decides to write a note of clarification to the TF, also written at the speed of light.
"Hi. My name is Silas. What's yours? I lost my third tooth on Monday and on Monday night I don't know if you came. Love Silas"
1/28/09 Silas finds this note under his pillow when he wakes up. He's happy. All is well with the world.
So, that sounds like a happy ending to the dental drama. Right? Wrong!! Read on for the second chapter of this story.
2/3/09 Naomi is happily playing the piano, something she does frequently. Suddenly she performs an Olympic-style twisting vault off the piano bench. She screams. I scoop her up. I see blood coming out of her mouth. (WARNING: This is not super gross, but if you are a total wimp about blood or injuries, then skip the next line or two.) I look at her face and see something horizontal near her gumline. I can't make out what it is because of the blood and wonder if she took a chunk out wood out of the bench. Then I realize it's a tooth. It's completely horizontal and is torn out by the root. It won't fall out of her mouth and I can't figure out why because I can't see the whole tooth. It won't stop bleeding and she won't stop screaming.
Did I mention it was just the kids and I when this all happened? Well, it was. I'm not sure what to do. I'm afraid to pull on the tooth because I can't tell how it's staying connected while totally horizontal. I don't want to do more damage. I also can't get the bleeding to stop. I start to call the pediatrician because I don't know what else to do. It's after hours and I get a recording, so I hang up. Then I call Becky because I don't know what else to do. I hang up on her because I can't really hear her over Naomi's screaming anyway. I'm holding Naomi so that she's leaning forward to prevent her from swallowing the tooth. Not that we aren't professional tooth swallowers around here now, but that's beside the point. Suddenly she pulls the tooth out, the bleeding stops, and she takes her screaming down to a mellow cry.
Aaaahhhhhhh ... peace.
Meanwhile the boys have thrown on shoes and sweatshirts in case we had to run to the ER. After all, we had no idea if there were broken teeth or teeth shoved in her gums because we couldn't see through all the blood. The boys have also gotten a rag to soak up blood and some children's pain reliever with a dosing squirter thing. Dang it, what's that called? Anyway, they were a huge help!
So, now Naomi has gums that will be bruised for a few days. She's also missing a top front tooth and will have a gap there for the next five years or so until her adult teeth come in.
I'm thinking the number of comments about how cute she is are going to plummet. Such is life with a daughter that looks like a hillbilly.
Naomi really happy about the fact that I'm messing with her freshly injured mouth in order to post a pic on my blog. Not that we don't have years of toothless pics ahead of us, but whatever.
10 comments:
TOO, TOO FUNNY!!!
And your kids are cute anyway, Bethany, teeth or no teeth :)
I just read your blog and I am exhausted! Totally worn out!
Also, There's something suspicious about that TF. The handwriting looks very familiar.
OH man... that is funny and horrible all at the same time!
Love the TF notes!
Okay, every story you tell about Silas – well, except the drowning one – makes me laugh! What a fun kid!
Dylan knocked out a tooth when she was about 10mo. She tumbled down a step or two just right and we had the same experience – it looked all wonky until it finally fell out!
We did go to the ER, because I called my pediatrician's office and that's where the sent us. They put her on antibiotics, which I now regret, but they said there was a chance of infection because it was basically an open fracture. So you might want to watch for that. I think he chances are slim, but just so you know to watch for it.
The other thing they told us was that they sometimes put spacers in to prevent needing orthodontic work later on. We could already tell Dylan would need teeth work either way, and she was petrified of, well, everyone at that stage, so we didn't look into it any further, but it might be something to consider!
Glad to hear everyone is recovering fine! Did Naomi get visited by the Tooth Fairy?
Oh Bethany, I missed this over at Sonlight. I loved the Silas story and cringed at the Naomi story. One of my children swallowed a loose tooth and we did the whole note thing. She enjoyed that so much that she started writing notes to the tooth fairy with every lost tooth.
Poor Naomi. But she's cute with or without a tooth.
The first story is just a riot! The second is not so funny--boy, do I have these same tales. I had to take Eliza for stitches on a boda boda--local moped--with a rag held to her head to stop the bleeding! Mommyhood, not for the faint of heart.
Bless your heart.
(That's what we say down here in cases such as this. Please remember to use the warm and sympathetic meaning of translating this phrase - it is most assuredly not the "What an idiot!" version. Because it CAN be used that way, too.)
It never stops at your house, does it Bethany. Livin' life wide open!!!
Bethany,
How did you know I needed another laugh today?!! As I read your blog , I was hoping that Silas hadn't actually swallowed his tooth but that Naomi had found it, put it in her mouth and when she fell off the piano bench that the tooth that was horizontal in her mouth was Silas'. then she wouldn't have lost a tooth herself and Silas wouldn't be watching his p-o-o-p for his tooth. I was surprised to read that Noami lost her tooth. My story seemed so much easier! I agree-- Namoi is so cute whether she has teeth or not!
As a side note, when Jason was Silas' age, he figured out that the TF brought money for teeth so he actually pulled one of his teeth that wasn't loose. The TF had some clarification to do!!
That is to cute/funny!
Oh my! I laughed, I cried! Thank goodness Naomi lost a baby tooth and not a permanent one, at least she won't need an implant. I hope my stories aren't ever as exciting as yours :)
Post a Comment