Sunday, June 13, 2021

REMEMBERING WAYNE


Wayne and I were just acquaintances, really. Two people who, along with our spouses, met over dinner at a marriage retreat with our church several years ago. An unexpected conversation with his wife in March about my battle against depression led to more frequent interaction with the two of them over the next couple months. I'm grateful for that extra connection in what none of us knew were his last days.

Here are the things that stand out to me today, the day after his memorial service, as I think about what I saw of him in person and what I've heard from others since his death.

* Smile. Just smile. And do it often.

* Be kind. To everyone. No matter what.

* Serve others. It's good for them. It's good for you.

* Know and love Jesus. It makes it easier to know and love other people.

* Share meals with the people in your life. And share Oreos.

I'll end with this quote from the back of the memorial service program. It's the kind of behavior we always want to be on the receiving end of, but generally aren't as consistently enthusiastic about being on the giving end of.

"I loved how he was always making me feel like a very important person ... no matter what."

No comments: