Monday, March 6, 2017

MENU MONDAY - 3/6/17

A year and a half ago I ended a stretch of more than six years sharing our family's menus, a combination of half-month and weekly ones. It's been nice to take a break, but lately I've been wanting to get back in the habit. Unsure if I should take the plunge or not, I've experimented with a Facebook version of menu posting for the last five or six weeks. Today I'm jumping back in the game and will be posting weekly menus on the blog again. As always, you can find all past menus by clicking the "recipes - menus" link on the sidebar and in the tags at the bottom of the menu posts (or right here). I'll also link the menus on Facebook, as I did in years past.


COOKING IN ADVANCE (These are often spontaneous projects, so they'll include things we did at the last minute the previous week and/or plan on doing in the upcoming one.)
* peanut butter and crockpot beans, just like we do once or twice every week
* a whole bunch of hummus for the freezer, using tahini we got at a phenomenal price from a local discount store

BREAKFAST
* oatmeal with a rotation of the following toppings - brown sugar, cinnamon, milk, homemade peanut butter, maple almond butter, raisins, dried cranberries, fresh or frozen fruit, huh-koe-pee milk, and/or energy mix x4
* doughnuts at church
* maple cluster granola
* egg & veggie scramble

DINNER
* leftovers (every Sunday so that we can have a day off from cooking)
* catalina chicken / brown rice / new recipe
* rice, kale, & eggs
* un-stuffed cabbage roll soup (double & freeze half)/ toast
* corn & bean salad (freezer stash of last summer's corn harvest, crockpot beans) on lettuce
* meatballs (freezing half ... and working on a picture that doesn't make them look so gray) & marinara (double & freeze 3/4) over brown rice / grilled Sicilian zukes
* beans & brown rice

DESSERT
* brownies from a boxed mix

We haven't had the catalina chicken in years, so I'm looking forward to eating it again. I hope it's as good as I remember it! I also love, love, love the un-stuffed cabbage roll soup and am happy to have meatballs and marinara in the freezer. Which dinner recipe sounds best to you? What was the last thing you made extra of for the purpose of freezing some?

1 comment:

The Boggs Family said...

Years ago I never used a menu, but I sure do love it! It makes cooking so much better knowing that you have all of the ingredients you need to make meals. : )

If I'm on my cooking game, I'll make extra food on Thursday and/or Friday for the weekend so that I can truly take a break. I'll make 2 dinners (or more if I'm really energetic) on one or both of those nights and then have tons of food in the freezer for the weekend. We all need a break! ; )