Sunday, June 26, 2011

A LITTLE UPDATE ON ME

I've had this conversation with some of you recently, but I wanted to also give an update here.

As you know, I've had a few rough months. Life was kinda stressful and discouraging. Then pregnancy made me nauseous and more exhausted than I've ever been in my life. Then life became overwhelming. I felt like junk and was really depressed. I cried all the time. I lived on the couch. I hid out in my bedroom as soon as Tim was home to parent. I skipped church (not the worst thing a person can do, I realize, but totally out of character for me and the first time I'd ever skipped for the sake of skipping) to lay in bed and stare at the wall.

Though I'd finally admitted here and to people face to face that I wasn't doing well emotionally, I still hadn't been completely honest with anyone. Then one day I lost it at church. I listed for someone every area of my life that I hated, which was pretty much all of them, and that I'd walk out if I knew it wouldn't traumatize my kids. That wasn't an exaggeration. I was spending every day fighting the desire to just leave. I didn't have anywhere to go (well, at least not permanently) and logically I realized that life wouldn't be any better if I did leave. It didn't matter to me, though. I was just so overwhelmed and discouraged. I'd basically lost all coping skills.

Anyway, the woman I dumped all that on met with me a couple days later, which I blogged about at the time. Over the last month or so I've come out of that pit I was in. A couple people have asked me what I did to get over the depression and I don't have an easy answer. I think it was a handful of things.

One, I had people encouraging and praying for me. That was huge!! It was nice to be reminded that people cared and that I didn't have to fake happy.

Two, I made some changes in the things I was doing and saying. I started reading my Bible regularly, stopped constantly saying "I'm done" in regards to my life (I wasn't suicidal at all, but just felt hopeless), made things right with people I owed apologies to, and tried to act normal in regards to getting dressed, cooking, leaving the house on occasion.

Three, my first trimester ended and I started feeling better physically. I've never had any sort of emotional drama with my pregnancies, though I know that's common for a lot of women, so I'm not sure if my depression had hormonal roots or not. I do know, however, that having my body start feeling better made my head start to be in a better place.

Yes, I still get stressed and bark at my family. No, my energy level is not at its peak (but it's normal for being preggo and way better than it was first trimester). Yes, I'm still struggling with living in this apartment. No, Tim does not have a job this fall. But none of those things feel overwhelming like they did for the last few months.

I don't live on the couch. I don't cry all day. I don't feel the need to walk out the door. I like my family. I get dressed. I leave the house. I laugh. I feel normal.

Thanks for sticking with me through this rough patch I just went through!

8 comments:

G5 said...

So glad to hear you're feeling better Bethnay!

Catherine said...

I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling better. You've got a lot on your plate right now and being overwhelmed is completely normal! My only comment to you is to remember to talk with your obstetrical provider (midwife or MD) if your mood gets too bad. They may be able to help you - and it's just good to let them know what's going on. (I say this from the perspective of a family doc who delivered a lot of babies in my ten years and saw a lot of moms with pregnancy ups and downs. Sometimes, all they needed was encouragement, but sometimes, they needed more intervention.)

Hang in there. Try to keep your eyes on Jesus!

Catherine

Kelly said...

This made my day Bethany.

I'm so glad you are feeling better. I'm going to try some of those tips and try to pull myself out of this funk. It's been 15 months, and that is LONG ENOUGH!!!

Kristal said...

Bethany it is good to hear that you are feeling on the upswing. God is so good.

Kami said...

You have been going through a lot of transitions lately, so it's understandable that you were having emotional ups and downs. I'm glad you are pulling out of it!

BETHANY said...

Catherine - I did mention it to my midwife at my first appointment, but I was in the first week of my upswing and wanted to see if I could pull out of it without intervention. I won't hestitate to get medical help, though, if I need it. I promise. :)

Kelly - I agree that your funk has lasted long enough, though I also understand why you've been in it. :) Fake it til you make it!!

Robin said...

Those low times can be so hard. I'm glad it's in the past now. Hope it stays that way for you.

Jules said...

I'm sorry you've struggled so much. But I'm very thankful you are feeling better. :hug: I like you here. :)