Friday, April 23, 2010

WHEW! I'M POOPED!

And the only reason I'm saying so is because Naomi's not here to ask, "Mommy, you pooped in your pants?"

I've worked my tail off this week to get the rest of our packing done. We're almost down to the things we need up til the last minute, like dishes to eat off and soap to bathe with. I intended to get everything else finished up today, but I just couldn't do it. The morning was spent running errands and I was tired all afternoon. So, it was a dud of a day in the "get ready to move" department. That's all right. We're still ahead of the game enough that we'll be able to have some play time next week. I really didn't want to be in a packing and cleaning frenzy right up to the last minute ... and we won't be.

Anyway, I just wanted to pop in here for a minute. So, let's see what I can tell you.

Marshmallow Gun Wars - We've had so many people ask if we're going to continue these after we move. In fact, it's been the knee-jerk response for several people when they first hear we're moving. The answer is yes. We'll start them in late May or in June. Stay tuned.

Guacamole - I'm not a picky eater, but I hate avocados. They're slimy and disgusting. However, I want my kids to know that I'm willing to do the same things I expect of them ... like eating foods I'm not crazy about. So, I decided to make some guac. We had it tonight and I survived. In fact, I really liked it (just a thin layer, of course) on the new enchilada recipe we tried. Now, I don't imagine I'll be making it often or ordering it in restaurants, but it wasn't too bad. Plus, my kids know I don't expect anything of them that I'm not willing to do myself. I think that earns me some "good mom" points. Good thing, as I've earned a bunch of "slacker mom" points for parking my kids in front of library movies for ... well, let's just say it's been way more than I would normally let them veg out. But I've done lots of cleaning and packing in that time!

Shower - Remember my friend Cheri? Well, they finally got a referral! A couple friends and I are planning a baby shower for her. So fun!

Coughing - My fever struck two weeks ago. It last three days, with a cough starting on day two. That cough is still hanging on by a thread. It's not too bad during the day, but kicks into high gear at night. I rarely use drugs, but there have been a few nights that NyQuil has been my best friend. I'm so thankful that sickness is not the norm at our house!

School - We do school all year and I love it. Right now I'm particularly enjoying it. Why? Because when this week started we had five weeks of school to get done and nine weeks to do them in (assuming we finish our year when Tim does). That means we don't have the pressure of getting school done while in the middle of packing. We got a little done this week and I packed up the books today. We'll take next week off and probably the following week ... and we'll still have some wiggle room left for the last stretch!

Delight - We popped in at our new apartment today and I saw a beautiful sight. Linoleum. You see, the unit we'd originally looked at had a carpeted dining room. I've been stressing about that ever since. While the offspring aren't total slobs, they definitely drop stuff on the ground. Particularly one of them. Well, our unit has linoleum in the dining area!!! It's the little things, folks, that keep you from losing your sanity. I'm one happy mom. As a sidenote, I am totally baffled by the thought process that would lead anyone in their right mind to carpet an area that has food brought over it at least three times a day. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Sugar -
Tim just set a bag down next to me. It has a maple glazed doughnut in it. I think I'm going to go sit on the couch and eat it while the two of us watch a library movie.

11 comments:

Charlotte Frost said...

Carpet in the dining room, I have had that before...Dumb dumb dumb!!!!!

Mama in Uganda said...

I love homeschooling all year round too, the flexibility takes so much stress off--especially considering the crazy life that we live!

Anonymous said...

I like the way you work with getting ahead of schedule so that it isn't so rush-rush crazy at the end. That is what I do as well. Good job!

Ahh... a yummy doughnut. :)

Kelly said...

Bethany, I will admit I also wondered if/how you'd do marshmallow wars. And I can't even come LOL.

Two years ago I did not like avocados. I made it a point to try them different ways, and now I really like them, although not in a large amount and not alone. The texture is still a little much if they are too ripe.

You could always try eggplant lol.

Abby said...

I so agree...whenever we move if the dining area has carpet that is the first thing we have changed!! The dining area is messy enough- I can't deal with carpet there. Thankfully the house we are in now was built for a family with 4 kids....tile everywhere on the main floor. Dark tile that hardly shows anything!! LOVE it!

perkyguy said...

I thought you loved avocados. I thought you had a photo from childhood to prove it. Or was it a photo you dreamed about that never really existed? Also, Nyquil is my alcoholic beverage of choice.

jani said...

carpet in the dining... totally void of any intelligence

avocados... entirely yummy :) try them sliced with tomatoes, onions, the juice of one lime and s/p. so healthy.

Laura said...

Oh Bethany! Allow me to teach you how to make authentic, amazing guacamole. I am, in fact, famous for it :)
I'm starting a new recipe blog and I will make sure to put that on there. I grew up one hour from Mexico... I know my stuff :)

Anonymous said...

I'm with you... avocado is not on my menu - but good for you for trying it with your kids.

And the marshmallow wars - I'm so putting that on my must do list for this summer!

BETHANY said...

Kelly - Avocado was a stretch, but I guarantee that eggplant just ain't happenin'. :)

Abby - We have a tile floor in our kitchen now. I always thought I'd love it, but it's not my fave. It's cold and anything that drops shatters into five million pieces.

Dad - Ephesians 6:4

Abby said...

Totally true...that is the downside...we've broken a few dishes here! But I still love it!!