Tuesday, July 22, 2008

JURY DUTY

I was summoned for jury duty several months ago. Due to the fact that I was nursing I asked to have it deferred. Well, today was the day. I have always wanted to have the experience of serving on a jury. So, I left at 7:30 and reported at 8:00. Around 9:30 they started calling out the first group. My name was the first called! So, 18 of us headed off to a jury room in another part of the building. We waited about an hour. Then six of us were chosen to head into the courtroom. I was one of the six. We all lined up and got ready to walk in. Then we were told "never mind" and sent back to the jury room. We all waited around another 30 minutes or so before finding out that the defendent decided to enter pleas for the charges against them. Bummer.

However, we were told we'd probably be wanted for another case. So, it was back to the big jury waiting room. We sat there for another hour before finding out that we would be needed for a different case. That was 11:30. We were told to take a lunch break until 1:00 and then report back. Well, we reported back just in time to wait. And wait. And wait. The case preceding ours was taking longer than expected. At 2:30 someone came to tell us that the case currently underway would not be done til about 4:00 and they wouldn't have time to get the next case and jury selection finished. Then we were dismissed. The end. I was one of about two people who actually wanted to get selected and I was so bummed!

So, I left the house at 7:30, got back at 3:15, earned $10, and did a lot of reading. I recognized another juror candidate from church, so I introduced myself to her and spent some time chatting and went for a walk on our lunch break. And I found a yummy scone recipe in the jury room when I almost made it into a courtroom. A good recipe means the day wasn't wasted. I'll try the recipe and share it if it turns out as tasty as I anticipate.

One more item of good news. Tim was summoned in May. He never even made it past the big jury waiting room. So, I beat him!!

2 comments:

AshlandFive said...

HaHa, that's so funny. I have to report in August. I actually did not want to do it, but I already put off one, so...it's my duty right? ;) I hope I don't have to do anything. I know that sounds selfish...but I don't! I'll be sure and bring a book! Thanks for the heads up.

Unknown said...

you beat me too! I was summoned- oh, a few years ago, now. I waited and waited and waited along with everyone else, and then we all went together into the courtroom and heard the people talk about the case a bit, then some people were selected to sit in the chairs (I was not one of them, but still had to wait) and eventually got sent home. weeee.........
but hey, you got a change of scenery for a day, which can be priceless for a busy mom!