Tuesday, July 1, 2008

BOOKS I FINISHED - JUNE 2008

I really enjoy reading, but somehow I've gotten out of the habit. I think it was four years of college textbooks, followed my marriage books, followed by taking care of little Ws, followed by homeschooling. You get the idea.

Anyway, I set a goal at the beginning of the year to finish at least one book each month of 2008. Pathetic goal, I know. But I had to start somewhere. I've been writing them down as I finish them and am going to post them here too. They are Christian and secular, fiction and non-fiction, worth reading again and not worth picking up. I have a very hard time leaving a book unfinished, so I plow on through lame books. Hence, some of the books on this list aren't necessarily ones I'd encourage others to read. And I enjoyed some books, despite the fact they had material that not everyone would feel comfortable reading. I'm just glad I'm finally reading again! And I have an ongoing list going of books I am waiting to read. I'll give you what I've read so far this year and then will just give monthly updates. All the titles are links to the books.

January
Eats, Shoots & Leaves: The Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation, by Lynne Truss
Entertaining if you're amused by the horrible way punctuation is used, or not used, around the world. We all blow it with punctuation at some point, but this book is a big vent toward those who are oblivious to basic punctuation.

February
Inside My Heart: Choosing to Live With Passion and Purpose, by Robin McGraw
Practical tips for living with a good attitude, making the best of the life we're living. Easy read.

A House at the Edge of Tears, by Venus Khoury-Ghata
Not my favorite book. Just randomly pulled it off the library shelf.

March
Walking Toward Home, by James Everett Kibler
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and will probably read it again. Easy reading fiction that focuses on keeping life simple, putting great value on relationships, etc. I'll definitely look for more books by this author.

April
Rebecca, by Daphne du Maurier
Chose this one off a list of books at the library. Neither hated nor loved it.

May
The Honk & Holler Opening Soon, by Billie Letts
I enjoyed this book and all the relationships portrayed in it. While not the focus of the book, there is some language and unmarried sex that goes on. It's not gratuitous, but it's there. Just an fyi. I'd love to read some more from this author. The author is the same person who wrote Where the Heart Is, which became a movie starring Ashley Judd and Natalie Portman.

June
More Than Allies, by Sandra Scofield
Got this off a list of books by Oregon authors. It ends up the author is from Ashland, where I lived for 11 years. The book was just ok, but it was funny to see how much of the setting of the book was pulled from Ashland. I could totally picture where each thing was taking place. Kinda weird.

Keeping Faith, by Jodi Picoult
I keep seeing books by this woman everywhere, so I picked the only one that wasn't checked out at the library. I enjoyed it and will read more from her. It also had some language and unmarried sex. Do with that info what you wish.

What Do I Want, by Annie Chapman
Quick and easy read that challenges women to be coordinated (having a balanced life), content, and courageous as individuals, wives, and mothers.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

If you are looking for Christian fiction, I would highly recommend The Mark Of The Lion Series by Francine Rivers. It's a three book series (although the third book doesn't really follow the first two.) Once you get started it's hard to put down. The first one is "A Voice in the Wind" the second is "An Echo in the Darkness"

Paige said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves to read, but somewhere along the way lost the time. I think that one book a month is a good goal!

Leslie said...

Great idea to do a list! A series that I particularly enjoy (not Christian, but clean) is the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, by Alexander McCall Smith. They're quick reads, but delightful!

The Moffits said...

I love anything by the 'Thoene's. A husband/wife author team. Fiction, but with accurate history. I learned a ton about Israel!

Unknown said...

Rebecca was an absolute fave of mine for years, until I actually read the book. I had thought it had ended one way because of the movie I watched as a teen. I still have fond feelings toward it but was bummed by the ending when I read it earlier this year.

I liked Keeping Faith more then I thought I would. I have another of her books on hold at the library right now. Can't remember which one...

Anonymous said...

Oops. left the wrong name on my comment.:)