Saturday, March 16, 2019

TWO PARENTING WINS ON THURSDAY


I don't see Silas much these days, so I asked to come along for the ride while he ran errands. He bought me a churro. Parenting win! 

For balance, I'll also mention that I was in tears at another point in the day because ... well, I'm human and live with other humans. Family life has highs and lows, for sure, and sometimes you hit them both within an hour.


While playing with the sibs, Tyler recently broke something of his that he'll need to pay to replace. Devon, who was part of the situation, handed him some rolled up cash to help defray the cost of replacement. It's a small percentage of the total cost, which is fine because Tyler's ultimately the one responsible, but the gesture made my day.
In a season of parenting where I feel like I keep repeating the same things over and over and over to all the little Ws, it was encouraging to see one of them do something honorable, showing integrity by taking the initiative to make amends for something that wasn't technically their fault, but which they were a part of.
Sometimes raising kids feels like an exercise in futility (just like trying to please me can feel to them), so documenting these parenting wins reminds me that all is not lost just because I'm weary at a particular point in time.

No comments: