Friday, December 16, 2016

AT THE FEET OF JESUS

Several years ago I read Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World: Finding Intimacy with God in the Busyness of Life, by Joanna Weaver. It wasn't bad, but it didn't grab me like it had so many people I know. A year ago Kit gave me another book by the same author, At the Feet of Jesus: Daily Devotions to Nurture a Mary Heart and I've loved it! 


Each entry has a verse at the top, followed by excerpts from a few of Weaver's books, including the one I'd previously read and have enjoyed far more this time around, then closes with a passage of scripture to look up on your own and something to reflect on. There's also a reading plan in the back of the book that will get you through the entire Bible in one year, moving around in such a way that you don't get bored and allowing a few days each month to catch up if you're behind or take a break if you're on track. Can't start on January 1st? She also gives you a link that will allow you to choose your own start date. I've never completed a one year reading plan, primarily because they bore me pretty quickly, but I think the one she uses is one I'd stick with and I plan on giving it a try in the upcoming year.

Other than my mom's 1970's copy of Streams in the Desert, I don't use dated devotional books. This one, though, has encouraged and challenged me all year long and I will definitely pull it off my shelf again in upcoming years, 


** This post contains affiliate links and I'm grateful when people use them. ** 

No comments: