Thursday, November 26, 2015

THANKSGIVING - 2015

We had an unusual Thanksgiving this year. Tim, Silas, and Naomi headed out first thing this morning to watch our church's Turkey Bowl while I stayed home with Devon and Teebs to bake sweet green muffins for breakfast and prep a few things for dinner.

However, Devon came down with a fever of 102+ last night. That meant he and I backed out of today's festivities and the rest of the Ws headed off to spend the day with the pseudo-inlaws, as per usual. It was the first Thanksgiving we haven't spent together as a family, but it was still a good day for everyone.

Devon and I sent everyone else off with rolls (thank you, Costco), Leslie's salad (salad of the little Ws' choice), and everything prepped for roasted brussels sprouts with balsamic vinegar. They had a great day playing games, jumping on the trampoline, eating lots of food, and visiting with everyone. They did not, however, take a single picture. Life goes on. They brought Devon and I each back a plate of Thanksgiving dinner and dessert, which we'll eat tomorrow, and the fun place markers made out of chocolate that my sister-in-law and her kids created this year.


Isn't mine cute? They do such a great job of making fun ones every Thanksgiving!

Meanwhile, this is what the day looked like for Devon and I. He came into my room after the Turkey Bowl people left and confirmed he still had a fever, so we decided to document the start of our non-traditional Thanksgiving with a picture. I wasn't sure if he'd get out of bed at all at that point, but he eventually did.


This what a big chunk of our day looked like. Me reading, him playing Kindle games.


I have things I could have worked on and was tempted to get some stuff taken care of while I was home, but I'd have been relaxing with everyone else if Devon had been healthy. So I decided to take it easy, even though there was work to do. I pulled slow-cooked coconut chicken out of the freezer and tossed it in the crockpot, since we couldn't eat the dinner we'd planned on having. We'll just do a little meal swap tomorrow and the other Ws can eat our leftovers while we eat Thanksgiving leftovers.

Devon and I each did our own thing for much of the day, but we also found Momo together and laughed our way through Cake Wrecks for a really long time. There was a little bit of editing/skipping on the fly to keep it kid-friendly, but it was so fun to just immerse ourselves in some humor for a while. This was his expression through most of our time scrolling through sarcasm and funny pictures. Good times!


Now two kids are in bed, two more are heading that way soon, Devon's fever has slowly dropped throughout the day (99.8 the last time we checked), he's feeling way better than he was last night, and we all enjoyed our day. It's not the Thanksgiving we anticipated, but it was still a great one!

No comments: