Wednesday, January 20, 2010

THE HAPPY-CHEERFUL CYCLE

I've been kinda bombarded with frustrating, stressful, and/or discouraging stuff over the last several months. Sometimes I let it all get to me and that's never a pretty sight. In fact, in the interest of full disclosure, I threw a total fit last night. Completely embarrassing. I had to apologize to my family, particularly to my kids who would be majorly busted if they did what I did during my outburst.

Anyway, I try to read the chapter in Proverbs each day that corresponds with the date. For the last few months I've been struck by a couple verses in chapter 15.

Proverbs 15:13a A happy heart makes the face cheerful.

Proverbs 15:30a A cheerful look brings joy to the heart.

I call it the happy-cheerful cycle. My heart is not always cheerful or joyful. My face generally reflects that. My goal, and I obviously failed in a honkin' way last night, is to choose to have a cheerful look on my face, regardless of how my heart feels. The fact of the matter is that it's very hard to be grumpy, angry, or tense when you're smiling.

A smiling face won't make your problems go away, but it will make you less likely to yell, brood, or obsess about things beyond your control. Give it a try!

6 comments:

The Hayes Zoo said...

Kind of 'fake it 'till ya make it' eh??

BETHANY said...

Faith - Yep, that's basically how it works. :)

perkyguy said...

When I stress out
When I lash out
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad

The Moffits said...

Me too, Dad!
Like.....
Rain drops on roses
and of course, whiskers on kittens.
Who doesn't feel cheerful thinking about whiskers on kittens!

And then I don't feeeeeeeel so baaaaad!

perkyguy said...

44,443
44,444
44,445

BETHANY said...

Dad & Beep - Love the song! We just watched that movie a couple weeks ago. :)

And Dad, I must say it's a little disappointing to have had 44,444 happen while I was not online. Another 11,111 to go before I get the opportunity to view mononumeracy on my site meter again. Think I'll survive?