Wednesday, December 23, 2009

GREAT HOLIDAY RECIPES

Christmas is only two days away! Want to know a few of my favorite holiday treats? What? You're upset that I said "holiday" instead of "Christmas"? Well, that's because these recipes are appropriate for Thanksgiving and Christmas, so I make them during November and December. The holidays.

Now, here we go.

I love cookies. I particularly love soft cookies. I love the flavor of gingersnaps. But, again, I love soft cookies. Well, Big Soft Ginger Cookies satisfy my love of soft texture and gingersnap flavor. It's from allrecipes and is on their Top 20 list.

As a sidenote, I'm still not on the list. Thanks to those who tried to get me there, but apparently it takes more than your number of stars and reviews to make the cut. That's all right. It was a frivolous goal anyway.

Sugar cookies are the staple of holiday baking, and I mean holidays all year long. While I'm sure she didn't create it, I got this recipe from my friend Mary, over at the Sonlight forums. I think almond extract is the magic ingredient. The kids love decorating, so we usually do some with icing and candies. Tim loves them plain, so we also leave some untouched. Yum!

Another favorite is pumpkin bread. The recipe I use came from a box of old Betty Crocker recipes and it's perfect. I love it fresh out of the oven, room temperature, toasted, or refrigerated; with butter, plain, or with apple butter. It's wonderful! The bonus for me is that Tim doesn't like it, so I get his portion. Unfortunately, the kids think it's great, which means I have to share with them.

Now, if you're looking for something to drink, you should try Honey Mulled Cider. It's made in the crockpot, tastes great, and smells wonderful too!

I realize none of these recipes are fancy or new, but they're the ones I make every year. Simple classics. Hope you like them!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We still haven't made cut outs yet... maybe we still have time. Rich loves to do that!