I had to take my vehicle in for an oil change this morning and was mildly annoyed at the inconvenience of it. I just wasn't in the mood. Trying to make use of the time, I packed up my Bible, a devotional book I'm reading (from December because my plan to read a great Advent study that month didn't go the way I hoped), and a couple books for fun, then headed out.
As I found a seat in the waiting room, I noticed a woman sewing something and asked what she was making. My vehicle was done about 45 minutes later, about 5 of which I spent reading my Advent book, looking up the verse it focused on, and writing the verse down. The other 40 minutes were spent visiting with the lady.
We talked about our families, our faith (turns out we have that in common), and how cool it is that God made people with a variety of skills and personalities. We know how many kids (ours) and grandkids (hers) we have, how old we are, how long we've each been married, and which foreign countries we've visited family members in. We're basically oil change best friends.
I also found out she makes something I have absolutely no use for and didn't even know existed.
Fish-shaped pet beds.
Seriously.
A cozy little place for your cat or small dog to sleep that requires them entering the mouth of a fish. Did you know such a thing existed? I didn't, wouldn't be in the market if I had, and am completely amused.
I told her I was going to link her Etsy shop on my FB page and asked for a picture of her hands working on the pot holder she was making. (Which, of course, led to us talking about the appearance of our hands.)
So, yeah. That was my morning. An interaction that was exactly what I didn't know I needed and couldn't have happened without first doing something I didn't want to do. And an opportunity to let my friends who want a fish-shaped pet bed in their life know where to get one.

No comments:
Post a Comment