Friday, November 27, 2020

THANKSGIVING - 2020

As it was for many people, this Thanksgiving was different than usual for our family. Hunkered down at home instead of gathered with extended family, I said I didn't want to make the traditional meal. But I still wanted pie. Duh. I mean, who wouldn't? 

Tim swung by Costco on his way home from work on Tuesday to grab a pumpkin pie, then I baked a cranberry almond apple pie on Thanksgiving morning. I rarely make pie and had never had this kind before, but it sounded simple and good. And it was. 


Naomi made almond whipped cream as a garnish, which just took it over the top. So delicious! I mentioned that it was ugly, which is fine as long as it tastes good, but a friend said to call it rustic. Sounds classier, right?

I had a really hard morning of valid frustrations, unmet expectations that I don't know if were realistic or not, and butter exploding in the microwave. That butter was the straw that broke the camel's back and I flipped my lid. It seems like it's always the little things that finally set us off. I freaked out, cried for an hour, and then moved on. 

Having had such a rough start to the day, it was awesome to have Carol stop by for a quick visit as she passed through town a few hours later. Three of us met her last month, so it was cool to have the other three meet her this month. 


This new friendship has been such a blessing!


We've spent Thanksgiving with my bonus in-laws for more than two decades and I absolutely love that tradition. However, because our group has 18 people, ages 9-99, from seven households in two states, we had to pause our regular gathering this year. That was disappointing, but we were able to Zoom in the afternoon. Not nearly as fun, but better than nothing. Some family members couldn't join or logged in after the picture (which I didn't retake because others had left by that time, so a full group shot wasn't going to happen anyway), but the silver lining was some who live too far away to ever join in real life were able to Zoom with us this year. 


Next up? A game. I recently hauled a bunch of stuff off for a friend who was moving, selling and donating the things she no longer needed. However, I saw a headband hoops game in the mix (different brand, but just like this), so I snagged it for today. My goal was some cheap entertainment on a holiday that's off-kilter. And that's what happened. 

Why are the little Ws smiling?


Because they got to throw balls at their mom!


Only three of us took a turn at donning the headband hoop, but all four little Ws and I took the opportunity to throw things at each other. 



We wrapped up our day with a Thanksgiving meal of tacos. Yes, I said tacos. That's what my people wanted, so that's what we had. Plus, it's 2020 and nothing is normal anyway. Which is why it's fine that my taco was deconstructed.
 


I made avocado dressing Tuesday, cooked a bunch of chicken in the slow cooker Wednesday, threw black beans in the slow cooker yesterday morning, then the boys seasoned the chicken and did all the other dinner prep in the evening. Hit the spot!

Our church's annual turkey bowl that five Ws play in, officiate, or watch didn't happen. No potluck dinner of traditional foods with my bonus in-laws or being impressed at the creative edible placeholders they always make. No spotting Christmas lights as we drive home at the end of the night.

But one friend sent me a picture in the morning of the pie he'd made. Then another friend sent me pictures of her cute kids in adorable Thanksgiving outfits their grandma made for them. Then my sister called to chat. Plus there were all the good things I listed above. 

Weird Thanksgiving, but still plenty to be thankful for.
 

 ** This post contains affiliate links and I'm grateful when people use them. **

No comments: