Let me start by saying my entire family, immediate and extended, is safe.
Other than a quick picture dump on Facebook each day, I've been unplugged since Friday morning as we spent time with family and friends in Medford and Brookings.
In the last 24 hours, fires have raged near Woodburn, which is where we live, and in the Rogue Valley, where several family members live. Due to that, I've been getting lots of messages and texts from people checking on my whole family. I've ignored most people because I had to deal with real life and not be glued to my phone.
Three little Ws and I are stuck in a traffic jam about 45 minutes from home right now (Tim and Silas went home two days ago), so I'm hopping online to give a quick update. Hopefully this will answer everyone's questions at once.
The Ws - Contrary to some misinformation that's out there, the city of Woodburn is not being evacuated right now. It's incredibly smoky and there's lots of ash, but as of an hour-ish ago, the evacuation line is still a few miles away.
My sister - There's fire in the area (level 2 last time I checked, but not sure now), but she's safe at home with her husband and son. Her adult kids are also safe.
My younger step-sister - She's level 3, roads are blocked, and she doesn't have info on her home. Hoping for the best, but bracing for the worst. UPDATE - Her home burned down.
My dad - He and his wife were forced to evacuate at level 3 yesterday (police officers knocking on doors to clear people out) and found out this morning their home, as well as the rest of their neighborhood, is gone. Totally gone. This picture of their driveway was taken by a friend of theirs. They have a place to stay while things get sorted out.
The loss of my dad's home is obviously devastating and I've done some crying today, but I'm so incredibly thankful my whole family is still alive. 
Thank you so much to everyone who's checked in to see how various members of my family are, offered us places to stay if we need to leave, and reached out to support my dad. I feel very far away from family, but also very loved and cared for.
We have all sorts of unpacking and showering to do when we get home, as well as dealing with all the ash we accumulated in Brookings, so I won't be back online or responding to messages until later this evening. I'll share any important updates at that time. Thanks, friends.
UPDATE - For those who are interested, here are links to three different ways to help my extended family.
Funds for my dad and his wife - One of my nieces has set up a fundraiser for my dad and his wife. If you'd like to donate toward that cause, here's a link.
Funds for my step-sister - I've set up a fundraiser for my step-sister. If you'd like to donate toward that cause, here's a link.
Funds for replacing my dad's bike - My dad does a lot of bike riding and we'd like to replace his bike, helmet, and any other riding gear he lost in the wildfire this week so he can get back out once the air clears. If you'd like to donate toward that cause, I'm collecting money via cash, check, PayPal, and Venmo.

No comments:
Post a Comment