Friday, May 17, 2019

MANY HANDS MAKE LIGHT WORK

In anticipation of having a wood stove next winter, we've gathered wood recently. Lots and lots and lots of wood. Some had already been moved to our back yard, but a significant portion of our driveway was still covered in a huge pile of wood in various sizes. 

The kids and I always have a late start on Thursdays, sleeping until our bodies naturally wake up. So I figured five well-rested Ws with nowhere to go and a gray day without rain was the perfect combination for getting a decent amount of wood moved out of the driveway. We put in about an hour carrying manageable pieces of wood and loading big ones on the dolly. 









We worked hard, but there was also laughter and goofing off. Like when my endcap kids decided to play logger games. Silas and Tyler faced off on their respective logs.


Then they tried to knock each other off. The victory was swift. Tyler, with a big grin, responded immediately with, "Well, that didn't go well!"


Then reinforcements showed up in the form of our neighbors, Tino and Gabi. Awesome!



They helped out for our second hour of work and we ended up getting all the wood moved. All of it!! Folks, there were some gigantic rounds in that pile. Naomi, Gabi, Tyler, and I finished off the last of the wood we could lift, then the little boys and I went inside to set up a sandwich bar for everyone. Tino, Silas, and Devon joined efforts to take care of the last giant pieces, while Naomi took care of little random tasks to finish off the project. Teamwork for the win!

We debated whether or not to send Tim a picture of the empty driveway, but opted not to. Instead, I sent him a text asking if we could make wood a priority in the evening since the weekend will be busy and all 6 Ws were home. He confirmed that was the plan and we let him think he'd have to put in some manual labor after work. It wasn't until he pulled into the driveway hours later that he discovered we'd already finished the job before I ever sent the text.

It wasn't exactly light work, but it definitely went quickly with seven people working together!

No comments: