Saturday, November 10, 2018

A SPONTANEOUS FAMILY HIKE

Our family decided over breakfast on Tuesday morning to hike the Trail of Ten Falls at Silver Falls State Park after we finished eating. We've hiked there multiple times and it never gets old. Such a beautiful place! Here's proof we were all there together, a picture we took of ourselves somewhere in the middle of the hike.


Then some chronological pictures we took throughout our time there. Devon climbed up on a ledge while the rest of the family checked out one of the falls.


There's always at least one little W who stands in his hollow tree when we pass it.


Tim asked for a picture of his crew under this bent tree.


Because we're a super classy family, some of the Ws declared this rock to be a mossy (and ferny) butt.


Another hiker offered to take our picture when she saw us taking the one of ourselves at top of this post.


The picture doesn't really do it justice, but I've always loved this staircase. I just think it's pretty.


Last year a ranger approached us in the last mile of our hike and said she'd received reports of bees swarming on the trail. She was trying to find the place it was happening, but we hadn't seen any and went on our way. This week I asked the kids at a particular point in the trail if it was where we'd talked to the ranger. They confirmed that it was. Less than a minute later Devon called out, "Found it!". Wondering what he discovered, I walked over to see what he was pointing at. There were huge chunks of broken, dried honeycomb all over the trail!


I asked where it came from and my witty son responded, "Up". Funny guy! Evidently there really had been a lot of bees in that area last year and we just happened to miss them.

So many responsibilities didn't get taken care of that day, but I'm glad we all had a chance to get outside together and enjoy a hike!

No comments: