The Scent of Water, written by Elizabeth Goudge
This is the second book I've read by Goudge and I enjoyed it as much as the first. A neat story of a woman who leaves the city life of London to live in the country, moving into a home left to her by a relative who'd made a lasting impression on her as a child. Like The Dean's Watch, also by Goudge, it's a fictional story of personal growth, second chances, meeting people where they're at, and the power of love.
Let's All Be Brave: Living Life with Everything You Have, written by Annie F. Downs
This random pull from the library shelves was about living with courage, bravely doing the thing in front of you.
p.77, I don't know how it works, the science and math of it all, but I know that love given is courage gained.
p.96, Say the things that will speak truth and heal. Hold your tongue in anger or fear - those are the times when a coward speaks. But when the moment comes to say the gracious things that will mark a heart forever? Say it. Speak love, and watch as beautiful things come to life.
p.124, I hate it when people say, "God will never give us more than we can handle," mainly because I don't think it's true and it isn't in the Bible.
p.131, Courage doesn't tell you to let go when you know what to grab next. Brave people let go when it's time to let go.
p.142, The longer I live, the more I think I'm figuring out that courage often looks like sacrifice and service.
p.150,You need to see that the world is big and diverse and maybe God doesn't look or sound the way you always thought he did because the world has a lot of different-looking and different-sounding people, all who are made in his image.
p.174, Never forget as you step forward with your life that you are a trailblazer. Someone is watching.
p.183, Quit complaining about discipline and start seeing it as a powerful tool for courageous living.
BOOKS THE KIDS LIKED
That's Sneaky: Stealthy Secrets and Devious Data That Will Test Your Lie Detector, written by Crispin Boyer
My kids love books filled with trivia, so Silas and Devon enjoyed this one.
The Other Colors: An ABC Book, written by Valerie Gates
A fun twist on books about colors and the alphabet, this one hits the non-traditional colors like ecru and chartreuse. Plus, it uses alliteration and you know I love that!
The Beetle Book, written by Steve Jenkins
Great illustrations and gobs of info about lots of different kinds of beetles.
Flashlight, illustrated by Lizi Boyd
Maryanne recommended this book and Teebs loved it. It's a wordless book about a boy who leaves his tent,flashlight in hand, to go explore the woods around him.
Hey, Seymour!, written by Walter Wick
We're big fans of Wick's Can You See What I See? books and the photographs he took for Jean Marzollo's I Spy books, so it's no surprise that we were excited to find this new book of his.
Blizzard, written and illustrated by John Rocco
Based on Rocco's memory of a childhood blizzard in Rhode Island, Naomi and Teebs had fun looking for the ways each day of the week was incorporated into the illustrations.
A Giraffe and a Half, written and illustrated by Shel Silverstein
Teebs giggled the whole time I read this to him, then giggled again the whole time Tim read it to him.
No comments:
Post a Comment