I've told a few people lately that my kids are homeschooled, but I'm not really a homeschooling mom. This year has just been hard, due to pregnancy stuff and moving, and I haven't put a fraction of the effort into school that I usually do.
Thankfully, our boys have always done a lot of their work independently, which means they're making progress without much help from me. And, thankfully, we do school all year, which means we were six weeks ahead of the game when public school started in September.
I sat down today to make sure we were still going to be able to finish this school year in mid-June and was pleasantly surprised to see that we haven't wasted as much time as I had feared. We'll definitely finish on time, will give ourselves a week of wiggle room in January as we adjust to life with the 6th W, take a week off for spring break, and still have a couple days of wiggle room each month.
I know that interrupted nights will make me tired post-baby, but I think that being physically comfortable is going to make a huge difference in my motivation to get school done. I just haven't felt like doing much the last few months and household stuff has trumped school for me. I'm looking forward to getting back in the groove of doing some of the boys' school with them, though!
But, for now, I'm not really a homeschooling mom. And that's ok. The boys are still doing well academically and life goes on.
1 comment:
Interesting that you should say that... I never really considered myself a homeschooling mom either. My kids were homeschooled kids, however. I called myself the fodder finder. It is still a delight to me to ferret out some interesting book that I think will delight one of them.
I think being responsible for one's very own education right from the start makes a better student.
Susan
Post a Comment