Saturday, January 9, 2010

CERYNE'S FUNERAL

Ceryne, a boy from Silas' class at church, died about ten days ago. When I broke the news to Silas he immediately went off to make a word search for Ceryne's family with words pertaining to Ceryne's life. Word searches are currently one of his favorite things to do, so I guess he found it to be a better option than a sympathy card. Let me just tell you, as a sidenote, that it takes a lot of time to type in all the "extra" letters in a word search!

Silas wanted to attend the funeral, so the two of us went today while Tim took the other kids to a birthday party. We stopped by the church a little early to drop some dessert off for the reception. I told Silas the viewing was about to start and I wanted him to go in quietly. Well, that sparked a discussion on viewings, why people choose to see the dead body, why others choose not to, the pros and cons either way. He asked to see Ceryne's body. We talked about it some more on our way home from dropping off dessert and decided to do it.

One of Ceryne's sisters was standing outside when we arrived for the viewing and funeral. She greeted us and asked if Silas was Silas. I said yes and she replied "Ceryne talked about him a lot". That really struck me. Ceryne and Silas were not close, they never spent time together outside of church functions, yet Ceryne's sister knew about Silas because Ceryne talked about him. It was a good reminder that we never know who is watching our lives and who we're impacting without even knowing it.

Now, I did not know Ceryne or his family, so his death hadn't touched me personally. I'm sad in the general sense that it's horrible when a child dies, but I won't miss him, as I simply never knew him. However, when we walked up to the casket I just started crying. It just struck me how very close we came to being in the place of Ceryne's family, that it could have been Silas in that casket. You never know when your time, or that of your kids, is going to be up.

Anyway, the funeral was a funeral, but a positive one. Ceryne was obviously loved very much. As for me, I was due for another reminder to value the time that I have with my kids.

Extra bonus - I ran into a guy I graduated from high school (he's friends with Ceryne's parents) and met his wife. Small world.

3 comments:

Chasity said...

I am praying for this family and Silas. It must be very hard to understand this all as a child.
Also, I had no idea about Silas....did not start reading your blog until after that time. I have read over the last year of so many kids drowning....some I know, some just virtually. I am so sorry your family had to go through such an ordeal, but very happy of your outcome.
Be blessed,
Chasity

Unknown said...

Bethany,

I've never read this before... Wow!
I just happened to Google Ceryne's name tonight, and this is what I stumbled upon... I have to tell you it gave me chills to read it. Must be something to do with the 3-yr mark...
:-)
Thank you for writing it!
God Bless,
Shanti

BETHANY said...

Shanti - I'm sorry we met through such rotten circumstances, but I'm thankful that now I can say I *do* know you. :)