Anyway, I'm used to the comments and questions. It's just part of our life.
Well, Naomi's hair got picked out today, so she had quite the fro going on. Not as big as in the past, because I've been trimming it over the last few days, but still quite a big puff of hair. So, the kids and I were hanging out an indoor play area today and a family walks by. They stop and watch the kids for a minute and I just know what the woman is thinking, but I'm not sure if she'll actually ask.
She does.
"Umm ... is that her real hair?"
"Yep."
"That is the most amazing hair I've ever seen! I love it!"
Followed by a lengthy conversation about mixed kids (hers are), how our kids are full siblings (she's shocked), hair care, and how beautiful our kids are (her description). The family walks on.
About thirty seconds later an older man walks by. He stops and stares.
"Wow. Is that really her hair?".
"Yep."
(chuckling) "That's great. I've never seen anything like it!"
He asks where the curls came from and I say our kids are 1/4 black. His next question? You'll never guess.
"Does your husband play basketball?"
"Ummm ... are you asking if he's a Blazer?"
"Yeah."
"Nope."
Followed by some more chit chat. He left.
Now, I have been asked countless times about Naomi's hair. However, the jump from my fro-headed daughter being a quarter black to me being married to a Blazer was a first. Kinda comical.
I had another guy say her fro was great when we stopped by the library this afternoon, then stop and ask "It is her real hair, isn't it?"
"Yep."
Poor girl is going to be incredibly vain or majorly self-conscious when she's older!
In other news related to Naomi, she got her toenails painted for the first time tonight. Want to see?
My fro-headed daughter getting her nails painted ... and voluntarily snuggling with me.
Pretty little tootsies.
6 comments:
I love the comment about saying black and not African American. Now that is a topic I could get on my soap box about. I always like to say, drop a black man from America off in the bush of Africa (where supposedly his descendents are from) and he will want the next plane out of there. Enough said.
I could see how people may think it's a wig after seeing the picture. He he!! I love her hair!!! Maybe you should get her a shirt that says, "Yes, this is my real hair....."
Cute toenails- how fun. ; )
Wow what a Title.....THE LAND OF CURLY HAIR..........
She is such a cutie! Ms. S loves to have her toes painted.
I'm amazed that people ask you if her hair is real. I would so never ask that of someone!
Rachel - That's a good idea. At least, it's a good start. The shirt would actually need to say ... "The hair and siblings are 100% biological."
Oh the things that people will say and ask to strangers. I know I have a whole list of crazy things. Just chalk it up to ... well.... not thinking I guess. ;)
Post a Comment