Sunday, January 17, 2010

I PACKED TWO BOXES

I had a couple empty boxes available, so I packed up some photo albums and year books today. That's the first step I've taken toward preparing to move into an apartment in March.

While I'm confident that we're making the right choice, the last week was filled with thoughts of how crazy we are and how miserable we could be. I'm giving up at least a quarter acre, a big garden, and a fenced backyard for a patio. That means I can't mow the lawn (my favorite chore), weed the garden (my stress reliever), or send the boys out to play unattended. I'm giving up personal space for the sounds of my neighbors peeing, smoking, bathing, and doing their laundry. That means our neighbors will also hear us and I'll spend a lot of time asking my kids to tone it down. I'm giving up four non-bedroom closets for one non-bedroom closet. I'm giving up adequate kitchen counter & cupboard space for minimal counter & cupboard space. I'm giving up a garage for nothing. That means we need to get rid of a lot of stuff. I have a tendency to get rid of anything we aren't currently using, but we'll have to get rid of major appliances, yard maintenance stuff, and possibly a piano. Most apartments don't allow pianos and I'm assuming that will be the case for us.

Oh man. It's kinda stressing me out.

However, it's not all bad. Many people have commented on how we'll be in such a small space after we move. Well, that's not really true. The apartments we've looked at online have a little more square footage than we have now. Plus, they have two bathrooms and we currently have one. That will be nice when two kids simultaneously have bladders that are about to explode. They won't have as many windows or windows that are as big as ours, which means we'll have more usable wall space. Tim will be home equivalent to one extra day each month in the time he saves in his commute. We'll be able to lower our gas budget. Our living expenses will drop significantly. We'll pay off school debt faster, which is the whole point.

I hate debt.

I've never been one to care about having a big, new, or fancy house. Not at all. But I am going to miss having a yard of my own and I want my kids to be able to goof off sometimes without stressing about whether they're bothering the neighbors.

Which leads to the question we've been asked several times about why we don't rent a house or duplex in Wilsonville. Well, the whole point is to cut costs as much as possible in order to pay off school debt faster. Living in a house or duplex is more expensive than living in an apartment, so we're not really considering it.

We'll be fine. This is just for a season, though we have no idea how long it will last. It will be worth it. I just have to remind myself of that every once in a while, particularly when my kids are bouncing off the walls.

My goal is to pack as much as possible, get rid of stuff we don't need, and clean out the garage over the next six weeks or so. Then we'll really buckle down for a couple weeks between Tim's basketball season ending and moving over spring break (which is tentative timing for now).

And that's the latest update on our move.

7 comments:

JynuineMothering said...

Bethany- you will be fine!

Sometimes having less is a bigger stress relief- less to clean and manage. Before we moved into this 2300 SF house, and before Emmalia, the 7 of us lived in a 735 sf condominium just down the street from Brianne. 2 bedrooms for 7 people. The boys shared a bed, the girls shared a bed and Eva Bella was in a mini crib.

We survived! You can always move again, its like a haircut- hair always grows back! Big moves are always tough, Ill pray that the Lord gives you strength to see the future and not sweat the small stuff.

Bob and Cheri said...

You can garden in containers and pots. It will be small, but can work... and you can still weed.

Then, come out out and mow my 2 acres. I'll make you some tea. :)

The Boehme (pronounced Bay-me) family said...

You can always drop by here, let the kiddos be rowdy in our family-playroom or outside on the play structure, and get your weeding urge satisfied too! I know it's not the same as your own space...but know you have friends who are willing to share!

Also, let me know if you need a temporary home for the piano. Granted, I haven't even mentioned it to my hubby, but just keep it in mind in case you don't want to part with it permanently.

perkyguy said...

Reminds me of leaving 3 acres in Brookings for an apartment in San Jose. No more lawn mower, rototiller, or chipper-shredder. Several pickup loads to the dump. Several years of accumulated stuff reduced to half of a small U-Haul. Ultimately, I achieved my goal. You will too.

Lawfrog said...

Change can be hard to contemplate, but the reality of it is never as bad as it seems. Two bathrooms instead of one will be a great help to the family as will having less stuff. Being able to pay off school debt faster is also a wonderful thing. I agree with whomever said you can garden in small pots and containers as well. I would encourage that for the stress relief and also because it will make the apartment feel more "homey."

Best of luck. I'll be praying for you!

Jamie said...

Hi Bethany,

I admire you for your "downsizing" in order to stay out of debt. We have done the same thing this past year in moving from Baltimore. May God bless you for living in a manner to please Him.

As for your garden, have you checked out community garden plots. I know in Eugene (and in Baltimore) local parks had fenced community garden plots that you could rent for the summer. In Baltimore you could rent a 9 by 12 foot raised bed with free mulch and water for $20 per summer. The park and rec department near where you live might be able to give you some information about such programs.

Blessings,
Jamie

BETHANY said...

Jyn - I know we'll be ok. I'm a big fan of having less stuff. The inside of our home will be a breeze to pack because I don't hang onto anything extra. :)

Cheri - There will definitely be some container gardening going on!

Monique - I'll keep you in mind as a possibility for the piano. I'm not sure what to do about that yet.

Dad - I blame your genes for my stress about not being able to mow the lawn.

Shelley - I know it won't be horrid. The boys found out this morning that the complex will have a pool. Suddenly they're not so opposed to relocating. :)

Jamie - I've heard of a community garden in Wilsonville, but convenience (as in, not having to drive to the garden) is a big factor for me. I'll definitely look into it though!