I'd like to make one big, honkin' disclaimer before I say anything. This post is not about any of you. Not even if you're my friend. It is about me, my thoughts, my struggles, my issues. Me.
Got that? Ok.
So, where do I start? I guess I'll start by giving my definition of a friend. I think a friend is someone that you can always be totally real with. That's probably the extent of my definition. I used to have other things included, but I'm not so sure about those factors anymore.
I've always been one of those people who gets along with everyone. You know the one? Voted "friendliest girl" in her graduating class, remembers names and faces, acquainted with people from all different groups, jumps into social settings with both feet, etc. The blessing is that I know a lot of people. That's also the curse. Being lonely when you're surrounded by people you know is far worse than not knowing anyone at all. At least that's my opinion.
I've actually spent quite a bit of time being discontent with friendships. At least a year. Maybe two. I don't really know exactly when it started. What I do know is that it became a big problem in the late spring. I only remember that little detail because I spent a lot of time crying while I was out watering my garden, the one I planted in May. I cried in the garden a few nights a week all summer long. I cried in the fall when I finally told Tim how I felt. Thankfully, I haven't cried about it in a while.
I had one really close friendship that had been drifting apart for months. I had one really close friendship that was hard to maintain because of a move. So, that left no close friends. I had lots and lots of other friends, people I knew and enjoyed, but I rarely interacted with them. Honestly, they were more like acquaintances. After all, interaction is necessary in order for a friendship to exist. I had online friends, some close and others more like acquaintances. I saw some of them a few times a year. Many of them I've met. Many I'll never see in my life.
So, that's where I was when the crying started. Lonely. Discontent. Frustrated. Discouraged.
I guess I'd just never felt so disconnected in friendships. There was a part of me that envied the girls who have monthly Bunco nights, go out for movies, meet at a restaurant for lunch, go on vacations together (with or without their families), hang out for craft nights, chat on the phone every day, have pedicure dates, or attend various concerts, sports events, or plays together. I wasn't doing any of those things.
The reality was that I didn't have extra money to spend on outings, I homeschool two of my kids in the morning, two of my kids nap in the afternoon, chatting on the phone doesn't fit into my life very well, and I don't have a crafty bone in my body.
I strongly resented my reality.
Well, I've moved on from that resentment and now I'm in a place of acceptance. Accepting that some friendships are just for a season. Accepting that the people I can be real with are the ones who matter most. Accepting that the season of life I'm in is not conducive to investing a lot of time into friendships.
The last one is a big one for me. There are friends I talk with on the phone every few months, some from the neighborhood, others I get together with occasionally so our kids can play, some I chat with at church, others I connect with randomly in other times or places. I like some of these people a lot. I'd love to hang out with them more often. The reality is that I just don't have the time. So, I'm learning to appreciate the little snippets of friendship that pass my way and not get all bummed that my friendships don't look the same as other people's.
Now, I have to add that accepting that this season of life isn't going to be focused on friendships could easily make be be lazy and not make any effort at all. It's like I want to justify throwing in the towel on friendships for a few years just to eliminate those responsibilities entirely. After all, if you have no expectations, then you can't be disappointed. We all know that's not a good option. Being friendless is hardly something to strive for! So, I'm trying to make more of an effort to invest a little time in certain friendships (and even with some acquaintances) whenever I can. Even if it's just a quick "thinking of you today and wanted you to know it" e-mail, some other one sentence message, or a quick question about something going on in their life. I'm trying, but I'm not always succeeding.
So, that's that. Less than a year ago I was a sobbing mess, lonely, and upset that my friendships didn't compare to the ones others had. Now I'm content with where I'm at, knowing it's a season, appreciating the various forms of friendship that I do have, and trying to make more of an effort to maintain them.
I threw some ideas out for you to discuss on my last post, so I want to touch on them before I log off. I already defined a friend earlier in this post. It's someone I can always be real with.
Acquaintances. I think the difference between a friend and an acquaintance is that a friend knows your heart, how you really think and feel about things that matter. So, you could have acquaintances that you talk to all the time and friends that you only chat with a few times a year. The difference is more about quality than quantity.
Expectations. I guess I expect honesty, trust, kindness, and a lot of laughter. Having expectations beyond that is just setting the friendship up for failure.
Conflict. It's never fun to have conflict in a relationship. Never. If you have two people interact long enough, though, they're bound to butt heads eventually. That's just humanity. Whether or not the friendship survives the conflict depends on that honesty and kindness I mentioned above and the strength of the relationship to begin with.
Friends I have. Oh, there's a variety. I appreciate them all.
Friends I desire. Well, here's my impossible fantasy. I want a friend that I've been close to since we were toddlers, who lives five minutes away, who makes me think and laugh, who I get to hang out with on a regular basis, whose kids get along well with my mine, whose husband clicks with mine, and who I get to go on exotic vacations with every year or two.
Friendships ending. Obviously some end over a conflict of some sort. I think a lot just slowly drift apart, usually because of distance or different lifestyles.
Jealousy. It will kill a friendship. You can't be close to someone if you're focused on whatever it is that they have and you want, whether it's their house, other friends, money, kids, spouse, etc.
Online friends. It's a funky thing to have online friends. I've got a bunch. I'm blessed to have met so many of mine in real life, but I'm also blessed by the ones I'll never meet. My online friendships are just as real as those with people I initially met face-to-face.
Long-distance friendships. It stinks when a good friend moves far away. It takes more work to maintain those friendships, unless you're both phone talkers. I'm really flaky about keeping in touch with those friends. It's something I need to work on, for sure.
Friends in similar places in life. The great thing about these friends is that you can relate to what the other is going through. You have lots to talk about. The bummer is that sometimes you need to talk about something other than your life, and that can be a challenge if you lead parallel lives.
Friends in different places in life. The great thing about these friends is that you can escape your daily grind when you hang out with them. You both get a peek into another world. The downside is that the differences can make it too hard to find common ground.
Maintaining friendships. It takes effort, but it will look different from one friendship to another.
And now I'm off to read what all of you posted about friendship. If you haven't commented on that post, then now's the time!
13 comments:
Great thoughts Bethany.
When the boys were younger, I had lots of friends. Friends from LLL and then later years hs'ing friends.
Those hs'ing friends put their kids in school (all but 1 family and she's very busy now) at jr. high and I floundered. Not on my hs'ing, but on the fact that most of them also pulled away from the friendship for whatever reason.
So I went through a season of making friends with people with kids in traditional school settings. The problem was in the summer I was a great friend, but my kids were older now and come school time, I just didn't have the time to invest in those friendship and they had MORE time because their kids were in school, schedules conflicted and friendships drifted apart. I told them I was a horrible friend during the school year, and they realized I wasn't lying LOL.
Now I have a few really good friends. I've met them online and IRL. I get to see them several times a year. And I love them. I wish they didn't live far away. I miss and long for a good local friend. Especially since Doug is gone all week.
Now that the kids are older and I have much more free time, I just can't seem to find a local friend. It probably came from years of giving up trying to have friends while hs'ing. Sad, but true. And now I'm left wondering how to find that.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. They gave me much to think about.
Friendship....true friendship. A thing of the past? I too have have gone through a new season concering friendships.
First off, I am VERY content with the fact that I am at home 98% of the time.
I rarely have any extra/free time apart from homeschooling, keeping kids clean, healthy and well fed. And if I do have any free time I use it to run errands or get documents signed for our "always in the process" of legalizing another child's guardianship.
Secondly, life in Uganda is different, much different than America. It takes 2+ hours to make a nice meal for my family, and although I have a woman who helps me around the house, she can't possibly do all the cooking and cleaning for a family of 11.
Add to this cherishing the little time I have with my husband, I just do not have the time to "be a good friend." I recently lost a friendship because she said I disspointed her when I canceled play dates--such is life with 9 kids, 2 of whom have a terminal illess.
I am very thankfuk for blogging, FB and emailing which keeps me in touch with old friends and allows for me to meet other like minded women. I am also very blessed to have a husband that I am not only madly in love with but he is my best friend too.
Kelly - It's weird when some of your online friends become closer than some of your local friends, huh? Sometimes I wonder if I'll be in your situation, lacking in close local friendships because of my choice to homeschool. Time will tell.
Summer - I'm thankful for the internet keeping me connected with people too! It's convenient. Sometimes, though, I think that my lack of effort in friendships is because I feel connected through public posts someone has made instead of through personal interactions I've had with them. It's a double-edged sword for me.
I have been where you were... crying over no friendships. It is so hard. I love being at home but there are some days that I just need some time away and there is no one I can call and do this with. I have lots of friendships but no one I can bear my heart with.
I've decided that God has me here for a reason. Maybe I need to lean on him and my dh more. Maybe, as you say, this season will pass. I still get down and lonely... put I try not to have too big of a pity party.
Just a quick thought - homeschooling does not necessarily preclude close friendships. One of my closest friendships was developed during the Cherry period of homeschooling. Cathy also was a homeschooler who happened to have children about the same age as mine. Every week day about 3:00, we left the children to play at one of our homes if it were raining or in the neighboring park while we walked for about an hour. (The oldest girls were in 7th grade when we began the tradition.) The practice gave both the kids and the mom's something to look forward to each day. (And it gave a time frame for completion of the day's work.)Interestingly, Cathy and her family moved away for several years, and although we manage to see each other once in a while, the friendship has changed with our new stage of life. But I know Cathy was given to me for that season, so it's OK. Who knows? Maybe God does have someone(s) for you in the coming years of homeschooling.
There have been seasons of no "heart" friends in my life, too. In my case, I knew God was telling me that I had become too dependent on friends for the encouragement that He wanted to give to me directly through His Word and His Spirit. Other times I think I may have had no "heart" friends because of my personality trait of emotionally taking on other people's problems, and I was too tired to want to handle any more than I had on my own.
Thanks for you honest thoughts on the subject.
Yvonne
Kristal & Yvonne - I think you both hit on something when you talked about depending on friends for things we should be turning to our husband and God for. Obviously God puts friends in our lives so that we can encourage each other, but it shouldn't be a replacement for the Lord or our marriages. I'll admit that I easily fall into that habit.
Reading your post about friendships hit so close to home I didn't even know how to respond at first. My head and heart started to over pour with emotions. I feel that I am in a very similar place to where you were back in May; crying OFTEN about friendships or the lack there of!
I can't believe I am about to be so open about my personal experience on this either but here it is-
I recently lost my friendships with my 2 closest friends in the world- the one's you have been friends with since school age, the ones that are your "sole mate" in female form, who you can bare your heart to, who love you for who you are no matter what, etc.
It started to happen slowly due to long distance, then due to my new commitment to walk to God and lastly because of becoming a mom. It is so sad to me that the changes in my life are GOOD and yet it cost me my most valuable friendships. I have fully accepted that that season in my life is over though and I know that when one door closes another one will open.
I have been praying for new Godly friendships for YEARS and finally they are starting to slowly emerge. But like you, I think the definition of a friend is someone you can be real with and can trust them with your heart and that just frankly takes TIME. I may have several acquaintances and new blossoming friendships but that is much different than having someone you know you can call when you need to talk deep.
I miss my friends and know that I will never be able to replace them, but I would NEVER go back and change my decisions. I am blessed with my life, with my amazing husband and daughter! I am also so thankful to the Lord for being faithful to hear my prayer but also to show me he can be my best friend first and foremost! I know the rest will follow.
Thank you for always being real. You touch and help more people than you probably know.
I too was there last month. Unlike you I have always had more quality than quantity. Only keeping a few close friends by my side. Then I moved across the country and of course those friendships slowly melted away. I guess I resolved in my mind that it would take a few years before I had a good friendship or two, but now (almost 7 yrs later) I can say that I really only have one friendship, and that isn’t even that close. It's hard sometimes; however I am thankful for my hubby and that friendship. It's not the same but it will have to do for now. The only thing that discourages me is the complete lack of desire from most around me to seek new friendships. I know it is a two way street. Sometimes the busyness of life gets in the way of what really matters. I know I let it get in the way. You are right when you say this is a season. Stay encouraged, the Lord knows your heart and will give you what you need when you need it
Bethany, you wrote about something here that I think almost every woman in the world deals with. What is hard to imagine is that all those other gals out there who seemingly have it all together are perhaps even more lonely than we! I have had so many of the same thoughts and feelings over the years. It's so difficult watching things change, watching friendships end due to misunderstandings, etc. I have one friendship that is virtually gone simply from a misunderstanding and though we've tried to mend it, I find myself always worrying if I am saying something that will offend her again and make her disappear. So now we're acquaintenaces.
Finding those 'soul mate' frindships are far and few between and every now and then you come across someone who you simply 'click' with. I have two friends like that and though we dont' talk often, I know I am loved and I hope they know the same.
Discontentment is such an easy trap to fall into. I fall into it oh so often, and mostly with just this issue, friendships with girls. I feel lonely much of the time and wonder what it is about me that makes it hard to develop deep friendships... But it's probably time to step out of that pit and realize that perhaps it's the other gal.
All in all, you're not alone. I can't speak for everyone but I know I have felt exactly as you have described so well here. Thank you for your candor and sharing this. You're an amazing woman and I wish you huge blessings in your relationships this coming year.
Lisa - Thanks for sharing your struggle. You're right, it *does* take time.
Michelle - Husbands just aren't the same as a close girlfriend, are they? :)
Stacey - Wouldn't it be great to know when it was our issue and when it was someone else's?
I'm in the place of trying to stay away from friendships for the most part. I used to be very close to a friend and we've grown apart. I had to finally realize I was the one trying to continue a friendship with another formerly very close friend from school and gave up finally.
We left our church of 11 years last winter. The new church started small groups (1X/mo meetings) and I decided I'm still not ready to get close to a bunch of people again, so I don't go.
I too cry when I think about it sometimes.
I have one very close friend, and she also happens to be my sister-in-law, DoughNut on SL :)
Thankfully they live 2 blocks over.
You defined a friend as someone you can be real with. Well, I think I'm a little too real for most people to handle. Or, maybe I need a better brain filter... I'm pretty honest, and I think that's what caused pretty much the decline of the first formerly close friend I'd mentioned at the beginning.
I'm working on being a better listener, but apparently it comes off as sullen. Hopefully I can find a balance between only listening and doing all the talking. One day...
Hi Bethany-
Fortunately most of my girlfriend needs are met by having a sister a mile away. I do have a couple other girlfriends that I get together with occasionally for birthday celebrations or a girl's weekend but I definitely miss having Sonja around, as I often think "I would love to go do this with Sonja!". She hasn't been replaced.
Also, Joe and I were just discussing how we are not nearly as social as we used to be. We no longer look forward to going out in the evening as our days are sometimes exhausting with 2 kids! We have found that we enjoy spending time together, in our quiet home, after the kids are asleep. I know this is a season in our life and expect that when our children are older, we will become more social again and I will want to dedicate more of my time to my friendships.
Finally, having had a great friendship with you in a different time in our lives, you are a very 'real' friend and I am confident you will develop close friendships again, when the time is right :)
Tiff
Rebecca - I hope you find the balance you're looking for. We're all working on balance in some aspect of our lives.
Tiff - I'd love, love, love to have my sister be a mile, rather than an ocean, away. Oh well. As to the past, that was a good season of life and I'm glad we're still in touch. :)
Post a Comment