Sunday, January 10, 2010

A WHOLE LOT OF RANDOMNESS

Rings - I haven't worn my wedding ring in ages. Maybe a year. I started breaking out in the most incredibly itchy rash every time I wore it. I can't even begin to tell you how badly it would itch. Oh my! I know I'm married. Tim knows I'm married. Clawing my fingers to death was more than miserable. So, I stopped wearing it. I recently decided to give it a try again and there's no rash!

Samoas - I spent Friday evening in a quiet house (Tim was working a game and the kids were in bed), scanning old pictures into the computer, playing online, and eating Samoas. I've mentioned at least a thousand times how much I love them. Well, the box I ate (and yes, I ate the whole box) was the last one from last year's stash. Sadness. However, I received excellent news from Susan, a friend who happens to be a Girl Scout leader, on Saturday. They have started taking orders for this year's cookies! That means I'll be taking some of my Christmas gift money and snagging a few boxes for myself to stash away for 2010. As a sidenote, if you're local and want to pre-order some cookies, then I'll direct you to my favorite Girl Scout leader. Ok, she's the only one I know, but I'm sure she'd be my favorite if I knew more of them.

Thief - Keep forgetting to give you an update on this! Remember the person who stole a bunch of money from us? Remember how we couldn't get enough evidence to press charges? Well, they've been arrested in another state and are facing a bunch of charges, all of which are more serious than what they did to us. Justice is coming. It wasn't on the timeline I wanted during the summer, but this way is so much better because we don't have to be involved.

Our boys, who knew about the theft because some of the stolen money was Silas', were never told who the thief was. Devon, however, "knew" from the start. We just never confirmed it. The latest update involves some pertinent info that I'm not sharing here and Devon again said he knew who it was. Silas agreed with his logic. So, we confirmed their suspicions. Devon wasn't phased, as he's known all along. Silas told me the next day that he doesn't trust the person anymore, but he thought he'd get busted for saying something "mean" like that. I explained that it's totally fine to not trust someone who has stolen from and lied to you, but that we will not slander the person in any manner. So, confirming Devon's suspicions gave us an opportunity to teach a life lesson.

Hair - Naomi is 2 1/2 years old and she's never had her hair cut in any way. The ends were getting pretty ratty, so I whacked some off last night. I'm sure any hairdresser in their right mind would be appalled at the way I did it and find a gazillion uneven spots, but I'm all right with that. Kinky curls are pretty forgiving when non-hairdresser moms trim them.

19 - That's what week we just finished in school. We're one week past the halfway mark. I was pretty fried when we stopped for Christmas, but last week went really well. I think I just needed a break.

Friends - A big thanks to all who commented on my two recent friendship posts (here and here) and e-mailed me about your own experiences. I heard from women of all ages and in a variety of circumstances, yet it seems this struggle to find and keep close friends is universal. Why is that?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't worn my ring in over a year too... but it's because I lost weight and it doesn't fit. Strange though since I'm not skinnier than I was when I got married. Guess my fingers are!

Samoas... how I love them....

Charlotte Frost said...

My Rings do the same thing to me, how odd...

sarah p. said...

my ring started doing the same thing over the summer! I now don't wear it to work out or at night and obsessively clean it...seems to work for the most part although I'm not a fan of being so high maintenance.

And didn't comment directly on the friendship post, but I'm right there also and don't know why it's so hard.

Marion Acres said...

I have the answer to all your ring troubles... Mine does the same thing but it's because things like dish & hand soap, lotion, and dirt get caught under it and the soaps contain something that is actually very bad for your skin for a prolonged period of time. So get it professionally cleaned every other month or so (free at most places), take it off when you do dishes, wash your hands, or apply lotion, and lastly, a jeweler told me that if you soak it in a 50/50 mix of water and windex overnight, it will remove the hard to get grime up under the ring and be nice and shiny in the morning too. :)

Mama in Uganda said...

I have not been able to take off my wedding ring since it was placed there 8+ years ago.

By the way, you have been nominated for a blog award. Go to my blog for the details. No pressure :-)

pondladyrae said...

Bethany, my ring fingers used to do the same thing. I went on this diet that eliminates grains and sugar and it cleared up. It has been over a year and no problems. Even though I do not stick to the diet all the time. I think it is a yeast problem. It also helps me control my blood sugar without medication. :] (Diabetes) I got this information off a web sight called knowthecause.com
sandi H.

BETHANY said...

As to the ring issue - I think too much moisture gets trapped under it with washing my hands and the dishes all day. So, I'm taking it off at night and occasionally during the day. A few times a year I soak it in a mug with warm water and a drip of soap to clean it, which seems to do the trick.

Kristal - Fingers are a funny place to lose weight. :)

Sarah - The thought of you being high maintenance is about as likely as me being high maintenance.

Summer - You physically can't get it off or you've just chosen not to?

Sandi - The words "eliminate sugar" make me start twitching. :)