Wednesday, January 27, 2010

I PICKED UP MY SON FROM PUBLIC SCHOOL

Really. I did. He's registered and everything.

All right, all right, it's not what it sounds like. We're still homeschooling our kids. However, Devon started speech therapy at the local elementary school today. After talking with a neighbor who is a speech path in our district, we went for a screening in early December and determined that Devon qualified for help. Yesterday I met with the speech path at "our" school and this morning I dropped him off for his first session. He loved it!

I'm so thankful we live in a time and country where families have so many educational options available, that we can mix and match options according to a specific child's needs, and for the freedom to change the plan as the needs of the family and/or child change. I'm thankful for the public school that employs Tim, for the opportunity to homeschool our own kids, and for the public school that is blessing Devon with the gift of intelligible speech.

7 comments:

Rosie said...

Brian went to the local public school for speech therapy. He had a lovely therapist and she helped him so much. I am glad to hear that Devon loved his first session!

The Hayes Zoo said...

You do what you have to to get the help you need for your kiddos.

Glad to hear it went great for him!

Rachelle said...

How did you find out about this (I mean did you call the school or what)? I think Chase needs speech therapy. He can't say L's. I couldn't say S's when I was little and I remember going to a speech therapist, but my parents had to pay for that then.

BETHANY said...

Rachelle - I'm no speech path, but I'm guessing not saying Ls at his age wouldn't require therapy. I think that's a pretty age appropriate struggle. You can find the language benchmarks online and that may help. As far as doing it at the school, the child needs to be old enough to be in school.

There is a group (Shriners, Knights of Columbus, Rotary ... one of those types of groups and I'm spacing which one it is) that offers free therapy to kids who qualify and they target the preschool ages. You could look into that if you want.

BETHANY said...

Rachelle - Here are some sites. Looks like Ls don't have to be mastered til 6yo. You've got some time. :)

http://www.sandltherapy.com/default.aspx?MATRIX=25

http://www.childdevelopmentinfo.com/development/language_development.shtml

(The one above has a typo, using a 1 for an l.)

http://www.asha.org/public/speech/development/chart.htm


There are more, but those should help.

BETHANY said...

Ok, here's the group my friend used. She has nothing but great things to say about how they helped her son.

http://www.scottishritekids.org/clinics.htm

aaron said...

Henry has been in speech through the public school since last year and he loves it as well. The teacher is excellent and he's making progress. I'm thankful for these services as well!