I enjoy Albom's books because they always have some good life lessons, but they're quick and easy reads. This particular book spans an eight year time period where the author spent considerable time with the rabbi of his youth and an inner city pastor. This book does a good job of encouraging people to prevent faith from dividing them, to look past the sign over the door of a place of worship and focus more intently on the people inside.
Let me say that I don't believe all roads lead to heaven or that we can all find our own path to God. I just think it's good to be able to separate someone's beliefs, which you may strongly disagree with, from their worth as a person. Does that make sense?
A Midnight Clear: Stories for the Christmas Season, by Katherine Paterson
This book didn't do much for me. Just a bunch of short stories that were predictable and blah.
Terri: The Truth, by Michael Schiavo, with Michael Hirsh
Proverbs 18:17 The first to present his case seems right, till another comes forward and questions him. If you recall, I recently read a book written by the lawyer for Terri Schiavo's parents and wanted to hear the other side of the story. Well, reading Michael Schiavo's book made me think of the verse I just quoted. I think I'm more torn on the issues surrounding Terri's death than I was before I read either book. Ugh.
.
I lean toward life-preserving, rather than life-ending, medical decisions. That being said, there are a lot of situations where I think the decisions would be painfully difficult to make, where you could argue either way. This is one of them.
The Kiss of Heaven, by Darlene Zschech
This book is about pursuing the dreams God has given you and seeing the way he blesses you in that process. It was a little redundant, but had some good points.
Cool quote - p. 46 The works of your hands become an act of worship when the attitude of your heart is to demonstrate to others the glory of His goodness in your life.
No comments:
Post a Comment