Tuesday, January 19, 2010

MONDAY

Yesterday was Martin Luther King, Jr Day, so Tim was off of work and I didn't teach the boys. Now, we've never done anything to celebrate the holiday, but this morning I was thinking about how our Monday went.

My pasty white self, my mixed race husband, and our multi-colored kids woke up in a home that we were allowed to rent together. Our home is owned by a man from Peru and his Caucasian wife. Their marriage and our own were legally possible and socially accepted. My husband had the day off from work as a public school teacher. He gets paid for his position according to his level of education (which is a masters degree he received along with people of various colors) and years of experience, just like everyone else. We all went bowling together. All customers stood in the same line, bowled in lanes of the same quality, and were charged the same rates. A Korean neighbor left a voicemail on behalf of her and her Caucasian husband. A Caucasian neighbor came by and chatted for a bit in the afternoon. Her Mexican husband helped us move some furniture in the evening. My daughter and I went to the store, where employees (an Asian man (probably mixed race), a black woman, and a Caucasian man) chatted with us, complimented Naomi's behavior, and shared tips on caring for "black" hair.

I'm thinking MLK would be pleased.

4 comments:

The Boggs Family said...

Isn't that amazing?!!! Praise the Lord!!! If you have watched "Separate But Equal" lately, you should. It's an incredible movie!

Mary Lou said...

Funny that you should write about MLK on your blog in this manner as I have been thinking some of the same things and contemplating MLK's life. There was a time in US History and not so long ago that it would have been illegal for Arthur and I to be married....Hmmmmmm. Thanks Bethany for your post!

Leslie said...

Those are good points, Bethany! I never know how to celebrate famous people's birthdays, but I guess that just pointing out stuff like that would be a start!

BETHANY said...

Rachel - I don't think I've seen that. I'll reserve it at the library.

Mary Lou - Weird to think that our marriages would have been illegal not that long ago.

Leslie - I'm not a celebrator of famous birthdays either, but this year it just struck me how much of my Monday would not have been possible pre-MLK.